Friday, January 28, 2011

Buttons & Black Clouds.

I had a thought this morning.

I was thinking through different situations I am aware of with friends/colleagues/etc where there's just that one person who pushes their buttons in the wrong way.

We all have those people.

And if we don't right now, we have at some point, and we will again.

Anyways, in the context I'm thinking of, I've been considering what kind of advice I would give. These aren't like actually "harmful" annoyances, by the way. Bothersome, yes. Frustrating, yes. Unfair? Perhaps. Keep that description in mind so that the proposed idea is applied appropriately.

My idea is this. What if instead of the hours and hours we (particularly members of a particular gender) spend going over and over the things that drive us crazy about another person... We came up with a new phrase:

"Oh man, so quirky right now."

Got it? Quirky.
Not "what a terrible person."
Not "he/she is an idiot."
Not "they're purposely trying to hurt me."

They're quirky. Period.

I dunno, I kinda like it. When I think of someone as quirky, the annoyance becomes more of a trait than an all-encompassing black cloud surrounding my view of that person.

And let's be honest. We are all potentially that person for somebody else, or will be at some point. Do you want to be the black cloud?

Nah. Let's get quirky.

2 comments:

  1. babe, you know you can just talk to me if annoying you instead of expressing yourself through this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lydia told barclay that she thought i was quirky.
    hm.

    ReplyDelete