Thursday, January 12, 2012

Bedsheets & Frosted Flakes.

Cleaning up from Christmas has been a gradual process for me. I'm finding this year that I'm allowing myself the pace I needed to reflect, respond, reenergize...

For example. When we stepped off of the plane and arrived back at our BC apartment on Dec. 29, I took down about half of our Christmas decorations - approximately 26 days earlier than usual for me. Approximately. And I don't know if any of you do this, but I find when I've had time to sit (i.e. on a plane for 2 hours) before I clean (i.e. remove a Christmas village from a beautiful shelf), I've pictured the process in my head over and over about 34 times.

So, when I actually do it in real life, it's very satisfying.

Another gradual response to Christmas ending has been spending time with people. We had a really meaningful, quality visit with family and friends in Regina for Christmas. Because of that, we came back refreshed in spirit. I can't say in body, because Ry was sore from all the outdoor hockey and a hard spill on the curling pebbles. And I had bad heartburn I think from 2 weeks of "sipping" eggnog, in which all the sips added up to a great big pool of liquid wonder.

Nevertheless. We were refreshed in spirit.

So. When our house was filled with people from all over the "world" (Paraguay, North Carolina, Toronto, Regina, Ottawa, Winnipeg... Langley), we loved it. Loved it. It was a continuation of a season of thankfulness for relationships that allow you to enjoy good conversation and hearty laughs (thank you Chelsa) over coffee, David's Tea, Frosted Flakes, and chili.

It makes me wish every day was full of rotating towels and sheets through the wash. Seriously. I like that kind of indication of a full season of life.


So, this morning, I took down the Christmas balls that were hanging in our window. I can look out at the mountains now. (Well, okay. The balls weren't like so big they were blocking a whole mountain range before. But kind of distracting).

I'll be moving on to another semester of school now... in which I am determined to try hard despite at times feeling even moreso like the old, pregnant lady I am. Thankfully, the pregnancy "glow" occasionally produces a few more skin blemishes (I hate to call them that ugly "z" word), so I might have a meaningful connection point with some of my young classmates. They'll enjoy that.


Stay tuned for a post in the near future... in which I will discuss some of my most favourite crafts of the season.


P.S. If you haven't seen it yet, check out the short post below :)

2 comments:

  1. Loved this post... and staying at your house even more!! Such a treat... and amazing start to 2012 for me... lots of fun, love and precious time together. Thanks Deb (and Ry!). Love you guys. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. dear deb:
    i wish you posted a post every single day.
    love, suzy

    ReplyDelete