Thursday, February 21, 2013

Pass Go. Do not Collect Anything.

I'm a bit of a collector.

That's a euphemism.
I have a hard time throwing things away.

That's also a euphemism.
I'm a pack rat.


Phew.
It's good to hang your laundry out on the line, you know? Especially things that people close to you are already, like, more than aware of.

I feel like this probably isn't the first time I've mentioned this on my blog. But I'm revisiting this issue because it's my goal to get rid of one item a day for 40 days. See, I started this about a week ago... and I've done it twice so far. But. Both of those times there was a small pile of actually like 4 things. So I think I'm pretty much caught up.

In this book I'm reading, the author refers to something called "evil excess."
Yikes.
She's probably not referring to me, right? I'm, like, really nice.

But I think it's safe to say that's not the point.


Ryan and I tend to move a lot.

That's a euphemism.
We've moved 3 times since being married (for 3 and a half years). And we have recently discovered that we will be moving again this summer.

When you move, you get the distinct privilege of facing your stuff. It's awful. In those moments you think to yourself, seriously, we could survive just fine with two pairs of shoes, one blanket, and a frying pan.
But then you get settled into your life and you realize it's nice sometimes to have seven throw pillows, twelve picture frames, and three favorite pens all at your immediate disposal.

What I'm realizing, though, is that there are many items that are nice to have... but are they nice to move?
And, I believe more importantly, are they nice to think about?

And that is my issue. That is what I'm working to overcome here. I don't want to think about things we have and feel their excessiveness boring a hole into my conscience. I don't want to think about things we have and realize I'd feel guilty purchasing a more useful item because the drawer was already full of things I just didn't have the will to part with.

Mostly, I want to spend as little time as possible thinking about stuff management.

Because there are just so many other more wonderful - and dare I say, eternal - things to consider.
To be continued in a following edition...

No comments:

Post a Comment