Thursday, July 10, 2014

When All Else Fails, Press Re-set

I just haven't been able to do it.

My sister-in-law has been sweetly asking (harassing) me to start writing again. She knows better than most people the value of writing it down.

So, how the heck do I get re-started?
I have an idea.

With my Grade 6 students this year (who - whom? - I adored), we created a book all about The Little Things. {That's what parenting and teaching are all about, ya? Turning them into little clones of the things you love without telling them that's what you're doing}.



Each Wednesday, we'd all come up with one little thing that we noticed in life that was awesome, quirky, funny, noteworthy… or, eventually, an inside joke for the class. Then we'd paste it into this book, creating a paper-full collection in this paperless age.

In honour of my students-who(m)-I-adore, and in the spirit of getting back on the horse, I'll share a few gems from the book:

"Beating part of a video game that you've been stuck on for years."
- How many "years" of video games does an 11-year old have under their belt??

"The smell of dishwasher cubes when you open the package."
- Mmm. Good one.

"Stepping on the bathroom a scale and realizing you lost 10 pounds."
- Umm, considering you weigh like 55 pounds, I'm hoping this is something you overheard your mom saying last week… Not because your mom, you know… I didn't mean… Okay, just shut up, Mrs. Adams.

"Going another year without a cavity." 
- Oooh, just give it a few years.

"Watching a documentary which you think would be boring, and your dad is forcing you to watch, then you find it very interesting."
- Insert [husband] for "dad" and I get it.

"When you survive the apocalypse."
- The very littlest of little things.

No comments:

Post a Comment