Sunday, October 10, 2010

Oprah & Oreos.

I'm curious about some of the little things that help you to focus.

In particular, my journey of late is the journey towards focusing on homework. Not all the time, mind you. Don't start thinkin' I'm a geek, because I'm not. I'm very cool.

Anyways, after embracing full-time school the past couple of years, I am often up to my neck in homework. And the reason I'm often up to my neck in homework is because I don't always just do it. I always get it done... but you know... when I choose to.

So here's the thing. A secret, if you will.
I actually kind of like doing homework.
When I get into it.

So here's the other thing. Not a secret.
It takes me forever to get there.


Here's a few things that I've been trying lately to get me "in the mood."

a) Tidy up like 10 little things around the house before you start... but be careful that it doesn't become cleaning.
b) Chew gum... when I'm at home, I just want to snack... mmm, oreos... so keep the mouth/teeth occupied.
c) When your spouse/roommate/parent/sibling is washing the dishes... hit the books. There's something about somebody working in the other room that is motivating. Perhaps it's just that you realize the lesser of two evils... we'll never know.
d) Turn off the TV.... tough one. I tried to write a paper on reading strategies while semi-listening to Oprah. I don't think my teacher wanted to hear about strategies for reading the emails that say your husband cheated on you with 7 other women because he... was basically an idiot. Nope, that doesn't help me. But thanks for your perspective, Oprah.
e) Close down your internet browser... while it's fun to look up a recipe that suddenly popped into your head ... that's a creek that it's hard to paddle back from. Should you still have a paddle at that point.

Hit me with your suggestions. If that's all I've come up with so far, it looks like I have a semi-tidy house, cavities, a husband with dish-pan hands, a dull silence, and a lame supper....

And, potentially, a pile of homework up to my clavicle.

3 comments:

  1. Williams Cafe got me through University. No Cell Phone. No iPod. Just a cup of Java (and a huge cookie...you have to!) and your books. 2 hour minimum per study session.

    Oh how I love being a FTM and spontaneously looking up recipes all day... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the suggestion, thanks! you have a good point that leaving the house is part of the key, i think...!

    i'll look forward to the FTM thing some day ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i have no suggestions. i hate homework.
    all the best in your endeavors.

    ReplyDelete