Saturday, October 2, 2010

The Bahamian Bee.

Today I am thankful.
For quite a few things - little things - that contributed to a satisfying day.

Context: I had to write an exam for a distance ed course in downtown Vancouver. No, I won't go as far as beeing thankful for the exam, I really did not like it. But, here's what I am thankful for:

- My wonderful husband drove me there, so I didn't have to go by myself at 7:30 on a Saturday morning.
- My wonderful husband driving me there meant I could study (a very little) in the car.
- The exam center had a bathroom. I could not have made it through the exam without that. Beecause I drank a tea first.
- The directions for where to go for the exam were clearly posted. I appreciate that. I hate beeing a bit stressed about something, then also having to stress about how to get to that something. Thankful.
- Even though I knew almost none of the short answers... I did know the essay questions!
- Mostly, I am very thankful to bee done. Done. (How many of us don't love that feeling of finishing something you've been kind of dreading?)

But the day continued to bring little things to bee thankful for:

- I found shoes. I've been needing shoes, and I found some, so I'm thankful. The bottoms are made from car tires. Kinda neat, eh? Yeah. I mean, I'm thankful they aren't made from a wasp nest or something.
- Ryan had his iPod with him, so he could play games while I tried shoes on. I'm thankful beecause an over-shopped husband could bee a grumpy husband. In general, I'm sure, not just mine. (Thank-you Apple).
- We got to use an Entertainment Book coupon for lunch. 2 for 1. Always thankful for a bargain.
- I'm thankful for a big thing. Well, she's not big, but I'm just saying she's more important than a little thing. She's my favorite sister (ha, just kidding Jules). Lydia. An amazing sister and friend, who turned 27 today.
- I'm thankful for sand in my shoes... A Bahamian phrase I love. But today, it's actually sand. In my flip-flops. The remnants of a beach nap in the October sunshine.
- McDonald's coffee. Post-beach-nap, on the way back to the slow-moving highway. Only $1.39 for very satisfying coffee. You should try it if you haven't. (And every May I think it is, they give it away for free. You will bee very thankful).

So. Some of you avid grammar appreciators have observed my misuse of the word bee. But uh-uh, it's not a misuse.
Today I use bee in honor of a very good friend of mine who I taught with in the Bahamas. Melissa. She taught Grade 1. On the corner of her board she had a tiny picture of a bee with 2 words beeside it: be thankful.
I often think of that, and of her thankful attitude. Consider this my bibliography at the end of my essay, admitting that the idea of beeing thankful is not original. But it's a gooder.

p.s. oh, oh... also, thankful that the f.f.'s are now 99% contained in the bee.bee.'s! (banana bowls)

No comments:

Post a Comment