Saturday, September 11, 2010

C'mon. Just Chuckle.

Since I've created this blog, I'm going to use it to better myself.

Wanna know how?

In my pondering of little things... I was thinking today how changing one little thing consistently could easily change a lot. I mean, that's the point of the whole little things thing anyways, right?

Here's the little thing I want to add to my repertoire of daily digestion of life:
A hearty chuckle.

I'm going to give you a basic example to illustrate.
This morning, I was at a meeting where I had to bring some forms I had filled out. There were quite a few pages, perhaps excessively so. Anyways, the administrator collected my form, immediately turned to the third page and said, "Oh here, I'll just check off the 'female' box for you." Ha, okay (ahem, chuckle).
But her comment walking away was "I can always spot the administrative people when they come in because they have everything filled out, even the little things on the form."
Alright, ouch.I actually am an administrative-ish person. Honestly. Not only that, I just started a part-time job as an administrative assistant, so... am I going to suck at it?!?...

So, here's the thing, and work with me on this one: Do I take offense, absolutely mild though it may be... or do I...

Yep. Chuckle.

I'm gonna have to go with chuckle. Maybe even really loud?!
Here's what I'm putting out there... A good, out-loud chuckle can do a few things:

1) Make the person realize what they said (Alright, in her case, she's the sweetest person. I'm the non-sweet one, because I'm using her for my purposes as the antagonist in my story), and then they can chuckle with you. Ha, ha... everybody's happy. Happy, happy.

2) Make the person feel bad. If they are a mean person, this is probably a good one. I don't know that I know any mean people, really, but I am prepared to use this on them when we meet.

3) Buy you some time. Because I've found that when I react quickly... emotionally... sensitively... a little while later I feel dumb. I don't want to feel dumb. I want to chuckle. And then later, if it feels more legit, then I will get mad and let them have it. Yep, I will.


So... I'm on a quest to change my world through chuckling.

Hehehe.


p.s. I chuckled in class the other night when my middle-aged teacher started having a hot-flash in the middle of her lecture... I thought it would break the ice, you know?... now I'm wondering if there's a chance I'm the antagonist in her blog...

No comments:

Post a Comment